In this episode, author Laura McKowen shares how being honest with oneself and others is one of the cornerstones of living a sober or sober curious life—something that she illustrates with at times brutal clarity in her brilliant memoir, We Are The Luckiest.
A self-confessed “little white liar,” her story into and out of addiction, and her perfectly imperfect struggles to make sense of it all, is a literary gem, and a must-read for anybody on this path. In this episode we also discuss:
– Why “permission to question everything” is what felt honest on her path to sobriety.
– What being “sober curious” means to her.
– How her boozy career in PR and marketing enabled her addiction.
– The impacts of drinking on motherhood – and her views on navigating the toxic “wine mom” culture.
– Her first sober party – and how she learned to socialize sober.
– Her experiences with AA and her conflicted feelings about the 12-step program.
– The most important practices in her sober tool-kit.
– Writing as a tool for recovery and her favorite books.